Free summer concerts in the park are returning to the gazebo at Delano Central Park, beginning with a 5:30 p.m. performance by the Bazillions Wednesday, July 10. The Bazillions are known for their groovy beat. Their singers/song writers began by writing songs for and with their students at Kenny School in Minneapolis.
Hungry concert goers will want to arrive early to grab dinner/snacks from a pizza-in-the-park fund raiser for the Delano Public Library. Pizza by the slice will be available for $1 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Free pop and icy cold treats will be handed out.
After the July 10 inaugural concert, the remaining five concerts in the park will begin at 6:30 p.m. Concert goers can add to their comfort by bringing chairs or a blanket and maybe a picnic. In the event of inclement weather, concerts will be moved to the Delano Middle School auditorium on Tiger Drive, north of Elm Avenue in Delano.
For several years the General Federated Women’s Club of Delano and Delano Community Education have sponsored the concerts in the park series. This activity is funded, in part, by an appropriation from the Minnesota State Legislature, through a grant from the Central Minnesota Arts Board, with money from the State’s general fund. Local businesses and organizations also have chipped in.
Here is a schedule of concerts that will follow the Bazillions inaugural event:
• Wednesday, July 17, 6:30 p.m. — Jim’s Brewers will offer toe-tappin’ old time polka music.
• Wednesday, July 24, 6:30 p.m. — Skippin-Stones will create a rich sound and tight harmonies as they perform classic and modern hits with a new energy.
• Wednesday, July 31, 6:30 p.m. — treVeld will bring a wonderful blend of instrumental song and sound, playful, deep and joyous, with original works inspired by the folk music of America, Europe and beyond.
• Wednesday, Aug. 14, 6:30 p.m. — 73 Paces, a talented and energetic rock band, will have the audience dancing and singing.
• Wednesday, Aug. 21, 6:30 p.m. — Route 55, of Maple Lake, will offer the relaxing sounds of classic Big Band and Jazz .