Police make 2 arrests in Champlin Wendy’s robbery

 UPDATED on 5-1-13: To include more detail from the criminal complaint.

Two individuals have been arrested and charged with aggravated robbery of the Wendy’s restaurant located at 11406 Marketplace Drive in Champlin. At least one of the individuals was an employee.

At 11:18 p.m. on Friday, April 26, Champlin police responded to multiple reports of an armed robbery in progress at Wendy’s.

Witnesses described two men with handguns robbing the business.

While en route to the location, officers received word that the suspects had fled on foot and were running across 114th Avenue southbound from the Cub Foods parking lot.

Arriving officers saw two male suspects running across the Cub Food parking lot — one was wearing distinctive red shorts with white stripes and also wearing gloves. Officers surrounded this suspect, ordered him to the ground  at gunpoint and positiviely identified him as Omar Stephon Fulford, 21, of Champlin. A handgun and cash were also recovered.

The second suspect, who was ulitmately identified as Jermain Maurice Greene, 18, of Champlin, escaped initial pursuit.

Officers returned to Wendy’s and spoke with employees who indicated that the two armed individuals enterd through the drive thru window with a gun and demanded money.

The night manager reported one of the individuals held a gun to her temple and then pushed the gun into her back pushing her into the back office. When she got to the safe, the maled demanded for her to open it and seemed to know the procedures necessary to open the safe. She gave the individual an envelope containing approximately $500 in cash.

Two employees recognized the individual as Greene, a fellow employee.

One witness reported Greene had told him prior to the robbery he was short $900 because he had his marijuana stolen.

Officers searched the area where the suspects ran and recovered $97 in cash on 114th  Avenue near South Pond Trail. They also recovered a .22 caliber Ruger handgun, a baseball cap and a blue drawstring bag.

According to the criminal complaint, in a post-Miranda interview, Fulford admitted that he and Greene also worked together at Ruby Tuesday’s and were both short on money so they planned to commit a robbery. Fulford worked until 10 p.m. at Ruby Tuesday’s the night of the robbery.

Since Greene worked at Wendy’s and knew the code to open teh register draws and also knew that hte drive thru windo lock was not working properly, Fulford said they planned to enter through that window. He also admitted to purchasing a blue drawstring bag at Target to use during the robbery.

When he met up with Greene after his work shift, Fulford said Greene handed him a gun and they proceeded with their plan. While running away, Fulford said he threw his gun and blue bag prior to being apprehended by the police.

While Greene initially evaded the police, he was subsequently arrested on Sunday, April 28 at 2:20 a.m. by the Minneapolis Police. He was found at 1038 Knox Ave. North, in Minneapolis, where he was hiding in the his mother’s attic.

Video surveillance tape from Wendy’s corroborates the suspects’ entry through the drive thru window and shows Green stopping at a cash register to enter a code to open it.

Both suspects are being held at the Hennepin County Adult Detention Center on felony charges of first degree aggravated robbery.

After the capture of the first suspect, Fulford, the Champlin Police were assisted in the search for the second suspect, Greene, by the Dayton Police Department, the Maple Grove Police Department, the Osseo Police Department, the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, the Minnesota State Patrol which deployed a helicopter in the search, and the Minneapolis Police who arrested Greene. No one was physically injured during the robbery.

The penalty for felony aggravated robbery in the first degree is 3 to 20 years and/or $35,000.


Contact Mindy Mateuszczyk at [email protected]



Contact Mindy Mateuszczyk at [email protected]