Winners of the 18th annual school bus safety poster contest were recently announced. This year’s theme was “At My Stop – You Stop!” Two students from Champlin area schools were recognized.
Jeff Mueller, transportation safety coordinator, said each student received a bus-shaped bank with $25 dollars. Kottkes and First Student bus companies provide the prize money.
“The Transportation Safety Committee was very impressed with the artistic ability of the students during the voting process,” Mueller said. “The creativity, design and the messages the students displayed were exceptional. It truly illustrates that the staff at our schools are teaching, promoting and reviewing the important rules of riding the school bus safely.”
The winners are:
• Kindergarten, Sophie Blanchette, Champlin-Brooklyn Park Academy
• First grade, Eva Leukam, Epiphany School
• Second grade, Sophia Larson, McKinley Elementary School
•Third grade, Ethan Wiens, Madison Elementary School
• Fourth grade, Travis Chooraman, McKinley Elementary School
• Fifth grade, Laima Liulevicius, Epiphany School
• Sixth grade, Danny Howman, Epiphany School
• Seventh grade, Hannah Svihel, Epiphany School
• Eighth grade, Tammy Pham, Jackson Middle School
• Ninth grade, Nick Edstrom, Anoka High School
• 10th grade, Abby Chesness, Anoka High School
• 11th grade, Mundah Keleekal, Anoka High School
• 12th grade, Katie O’Neill, Anoka High School
The students received their awards at the district transportation safety committee meeting on March 6 at the Educational Service Center. All district winners’ posters will be submitted to the state competition for the possibility of additional awards to be announced in April. State winners will go to the national competition, which is held in November.
View additional winning posters on thr Google Picasa site (http://ow.ly/iLXWs) or Facebook page (http://ow.ly/iSIBq).