The Hennepin Youth Sports Program is currently accepting applications for the 2013 round of facility and fall capital equipment grants; applications are due by 4 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5.
The Youth Sports Program awards facility grants to municipalities, park districts or school districts to create, expand or improve athletic or recreational facilities to enhance opportunities for youth participation in the county.
Up to $2 million is available annually; facility grants range from $10,000 to $325,000. There is also $250,000 set aside out of the total amount of grant funding available for equipment grants ranging from $1,000 to $10,000 to purchase capital equipment related to youth sports activities and recreation.
Facility grants are awarded once each year, and are evaluated on:
• Partnerships among local government units and between local government units and nonprofit organizations.
• Ratio of matching funds and in-kind contributions to the amount requested.
• Development of new and improved athletic and recreational opportunities.
• User population characteristics and the number of youth served.
• Inclusion of environmental improvements.
• Sustainability, including the availability of ongoing operating and maintenance funds.
• Equitable distribution throughout Hennepin County.
• Examples of potential projects for this type of grant include: baseball and softball fields; soccer, football and lacrosse fields; tennis courts; hockey rinks; playgrounds and skate parks.
Equipment grants are awarded in the fall and spring ($125,000 per cycle) and are evaluated on:
• Population characteristics and the number of youth served by the organization.
• Ration of matching funds to the amount requested.
• Organizations should be in good standing with their communities and have a tradition of providing quality sports programming.
• To the extent possible, grants will be awarded to a mix of various sports and recreational activities and distributed to communities throughout Hennepin County.
• Examples of potential projects for this type of grant include: field maintenance equipment, pitching machines, goals, backboards, nets, sleds and dummies.
The Hennepin Youth Sports Program has distributed more than $9 million in funding to 54 capital projects and approximately 40 equipment grant projects since the program began in December 2009.