The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office is urging motorists to use extra caution at the start of the school year. Parents are reminded to review safety tips with their children.
Anyone behind the wheel should drive attentively and watch for children on sidewalks, along roadways, and at all crosswalks and intersections. Remember that texting while driving is against the law in Minnesota.
“This is a great time of year to pledge to yourself and your family that you will not engage in distracted driving,” said Hennepin County Sheriff Rich Stanek. “Focus on your responsibility to drive safely and use additional caution — especially near buses and in school zones.”
The Sheriff’s Office offers the following tips for motorists, parents and children:
• Reduce speeds in and around school zones.
• Consider changing your route in order to avoid school bus traffic.
• Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and curbs.
• Be prepared to stop for the school bus.
• Enter and exit driveways, parking lots, and alleys slowly and carefully.
• Do not engage in distracted driving. Put down the phone and focus on driving.
• Watch for pedestrian traffic and prepare to stop if a pedestrian is approaching the intersection.
Review with school children:
• Never run out into the street or cross in between parked cars.
• Create a morning schedule that allows plenty of time to arrive to the bus stop at an appropriate time. It’s not safe for children to run into the street because they are worried about missing the bus.
• Make sure children walk five to 10 steps in front of the bus where the driver can see them.
• Wait for the driver to signal that it’s safe to cross.
• Wait for the bus in a safe place — not on the street or curb.
• Parents should remind children about appropriate behavior on the bus in order to allow the bus driver to concentrate on driving.
School children safety tips for walking to school:
• Parents should walk the route to school with students before the start of the year and select a course with the least number of traffic crossings.
• Cross only at intersections or crosswalks and obey all traffic signs and signals.
• Do not enter a crosswalk if a vehicle is too close or moving too fast to stop.
• In general, children under age 10 should cross the street with an adult.