The 2012 Primary Election wrapped up Tuesday, Aug. 14, featuring several seats that will be on the ballot in November during the General Election. A primary election is held when two or more members of the same political party run for one seat.
In the Hennepin County Board District 1 race, Incumbent Commissioner Mike Opat will face Chris Rains. Opat had 5,082 votes (55.38 percent) during the Primary Election. Rains received 2,865 votes (31.22 percent) and Joy Marsh Stevens received 1,229 votes (13.39 percent). Hennepin County District 1 includes all or parts of Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Crystal, Minneapolis, New Hope, Osseo and Robbinsdale.
In the 3rd U.S. Congressional District, incumbent Erik Paulsen held a commanding lead over challenger John W. Howard III in the Republican U.S. Congressional Dist. 3 Primary Election. Paulsen earned 18,762 votes (90.19 percent) to Howard’s 2,032 (9.81 percent). Paulsen will face DFLer Brian Barnes in the General Election in November.
In the Three Rivers Parks District of Commissioners — District 2, Rick Theisen received the most votes of the three candidates contending for the District 2 seat with 43 percent of the votes or 2,344 total votes. Jennifer DeJournett received 29 percent or 1,572 total votes. Incumbent Marilynn Corcoran appears to have lost her seat with 1,551 total votes.
On the Ballot in November
The following are the candidates that will appear on the ballot during the Nov. 6 General Election:
• Hennepin County Board Dist. 1 — Incumbent Mike Opat will face Chris Rains. The candidates are nonpartisan. This district includes the city of Osseo.
• Hennepin County Board Dist. 7 — Incumbent Jeff Johnson is running unopposed. This district includes the city of Maple Grove.
• MN House District 34A — Incumbent Joyce Peppin (R-Rogers) will face Adam Fisher (DFL) filed May 31. This district covers the north and west portion of Maple Grove.
• MN House District 34B — Incumbent Kurt Zellers (R-Maple Grove) and David B. Hoden (DFL) will be on the ballot. This district covers the east and southern portion of Maple Grove and all of Osseo.
• MN Senate District 34 — Incumbent Warren Limmer (R-Maple Grove) faces Sharon Bahensky (DFL).
• U.S. Congressional District 3 — Incumbent Erik Paulsen (R-Eden Prairie) will face Brian Barnes (DFL). This district includes the cities of Maple Grove and Osseo.
• U.S. Senator — Incumbent Amy Klobuchar (DFL) faces Republican Kurt Bills and Stephen Williams (I).
• Three Rivers Park District of Commissioners – District 2 — Theisen and Dejournett will be on the Nov. 6 ballot.
• Maple Grove City Council — On the November ballot are Mark Aubart Sr., David Brown, Jay Dirks, Incumbent Erik Johnson, Sherri Johnson, Incumbent Leann Sargent and Dan Vogtman. Residents will vote for two candidates.
• Osseo City Council — Two have filed for the mayoral seat, Incumbent Mayor Al Lindquist and current Councilor Duane Poppe. Residents will vote for one. There are also two seats open for council members. Those on the ballot include: Claudia Gisvold, John Goth, Bonnie Heinen, Mark Schulz and Daniel Spanier. Residents will vote for two council members in November.
• Osseo School Board — On the ballot will be Brad Ehlert, Linda Etim, Robert Gerhart, Jacki Girtz, Collette Guyott-Hempel and Deank Henke. The terms of Board Chair Henke and directors Laura Cottington and Kim Green expire at the end of the year.
The General Election is Tuesday, Nov. 6. Polls will be open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
— Compiled by Alicia Miller