Even with record cold and wet conditions this spring, shoppers are noticing a wide variety of locally grown produce at the Maple Grove Farmers Market.
“This really is the place to buy the freshest locally grown produce,” said Market Manager Kirsten Bansen Weigle. “Our vendors harvest just hours before bringing the produce to market — an average of only 35 miles.”
Nutritious local produce will take center stage in July through two market-based programs. Medica insurance holders who participate in the Healthy Savings Program can bring their cards to the Market Information booth during the month of July to receive a coupon for $3 of fresh local produce. For more information about the Health Savings program, visit www.healthsavings.net.
The market is also welcoming city of Maple Grove employees who participate in the city’s Fit for Life program. Employees who visit the market five times can earn points toward their Fit for Life goals. Fit for Life participants will also receive recipes and resources for shopping the market during the program’s Farmers Market Month, slated for August.
“The market is a natural fit for employers who wish to promote wellness among their employees,” said Bansen Weigle. “Our most recent customer survey shows that 83 percent of shoppers eat more fresh fruits and vegetables as a result of their visits to the market. It’s also a great way to enjoy our short summer season — a real mood-booster.”
Also at the July 3 market:
• Live music by market favorite Karl Burke from 4 to 7 p.m.
• Seasonal produce including strawberries, summer squash, young beets, onions, salad greens, herbs, kohlrabi, broccoli, radishes and more. All produce is locally grown by the vendors who sell it at market. Organic and conventional choices are available.
• Farmstead products including eggs, beef, pork, chicken, lamb, maple syrup, fiber products and honey.
• Specialty products including a wide array of artisan breads and baked goods, pickles, jams, jellies, salsas sauces, gluten free baked goods and mixes, pierogies, ready-to eat items including puffed corn, pretzels, cookies, pork shops, pierogies and dumplings, ice cream and more.
• EBT, Credit and Debit cards welcomed at Market Information Booth
• Frequent Shopper Program will award a $5 market token to up to 250 shoppers. Check in at the information booth.
• Free recipes and information about Power of Produce children’s program available at Market Information Booth.
Learn more about the market by visiting www.maplegrovefarmersmarket.com to sign up for informational market e-mails. Follow the market at www.facebook.com/maplegrovefarmersmarket or on Twitter at twitter.com/maplegrovefm. In 2014, the Maple Grove Farmers Market celebrates its 11th year of nourishing the community. The market features nearly 50 vendors offering Minnesota-grown and vendor-made food items. The market averages 2,050 adult shoppers per week. Located outside at the Maple Grove Community Center, the Market also features weekly live music, Master gardeners, frequent shopper program, and seasonal special events. The Maple Grove Farmers Market accepts EBT, Credit and Debit Cards.