North Wright County has 1-1-1 week

 The Riverhawks’ Rachel King has an excellent breakaway chance against Buffalo. (Photo by Jake Schroer)
The Riverhawks’ Rachel King has an excellent breakaway chance against Buffalo. (Photo by Jake Schroer)

By Jake Schroer

Crow River News Sports


The Riverhawks faced three opponents and got a win, a loss and a tie in that exact order.

North Wright County got a solid performance out of its offense in a victory over the Cambridge-Isanti Wildcats. Outshooting the Wildcats 14-2 in the opening period, the Riverhawks jumped out to a 2-0 lead behind goals from Rachel King (power play, MacKenzie Johnson, Marina Chapman) and Lindsay Finnerty (Alana Achterkirch).

The first period set the tone for the rest of the game. NWC added another goal in the second period by Emily Achterkirch (unassisted). Kayla Finnerty got in on the act in the third period (Chapman, King) and Emily Achterkirch capped the scoring with her second goal of the game (unassisted) as the Riverhawks won 5-0.

“We kept them at zero, and that’s our number one objective,” Coach Jason Johnson said. He felt it was a good game but would have liked to see his team hit the net a bit more.


Lose heartbreaker to Bison

The Buffalo Bison came to town, renewing a rivalry as the two teams played for the traveling trophy. Johnson scored on the power play (unassisted) and the Riverhawks led 1-0 after one period.

Just seconds into the second period, Lindsay Roethke tied the game at 1-1 (unassisted). Several minutes later, Roethke assisted on Bison scoring leader Abby Halluska’s tiebreaking goal. The Bison took a 2-1 lead into the third period.

The Bison scored quickly again in the third period for a 3-1 lead. Madi Jewell tallied the goal, which eventually served to be the game winner. Johnson scored her second goal of the game moments later for the Riverhawks to make the final score 3-2 (Greta Stanton).

“We’re disappointed in the loss, but we’re not frustrated with our play. I think we played one of our better games this season,” Coach Johnson said.

The loss snapped a three game winning streak for the Riverhawks.


Tie Sartell-St. Stephen

The Riverhawks originally had the day off on MLK day. That was until the polar vortex swept through and canceled all activities for two straight days. This game was a make-up date.

The Riverhawks got off to a good start and led 2-0 after two periods. The Riverhawks had a third goal waved off on an early whistle; a missed call for which the officials later apologized to Johnson.

“That prevented us from getting to three and from that point forward, we hit two more pipes and we just couldn’t capitalize,” he said.

Sartell-St. Stephen scored a pair of goals in the third period and tied the game. The game went to overtime, where the Riverhawks led in shots 5-2, but neither team capitalized on opportunities and it ended in a tie.

“I just told our girls we’re going to be a better team for having to play in those situations and hopefully we’re going to see that team again as we go through the section playoffs,” Johnson said.

The Riverhawks entered Tuesday’s game with St. Francis at 9-9-2. Two games remain on the weekly schedule; Thursday’s showdown with Chisago Lakes at the Moose Sherritt Arena and Saturday’s game at River Lakes.