School District 885
St. Michael Albertville
Independent School District 885
School Board Minutes
MIDDLE SCHOOL WEST
December 2, 2013
The St. Michael-Albertville School Board held a Regular Meeting in the MIDDLE SCHOOL WEST LECTURE HALL at 7:00PM.
Present: D. Birk, D. Scherber, G. Weber, J. Holland, C. Steffens, J. Lindquist
J. Behle, J. Aanerud, M. Barthel, S. Bichler, J. Claseman, A. Foucault, L. Jennissen, J. Kelly, J. Potthoff, S. Scherber
1. Call to Order
2. Approval of Agenda Items
Lindquist/Weber. Motion to approve the agenda as presented. Motion carried.
3. Correction and Approval of Previous Minutes
A. Regular Meeting on Monday, November 18, 2013
Weber/Holland. Motion to approve the Regular Meeting Minutes of Monday, November 18, 2013 as presented. Motion carried.
A. Persons not on the agenda wishing to address the school board, 5 minutes per individual.
A. Truth in Taxation
Dr. Behle presented the Truth in Taxation report, which included information on school funding, property tax levies and budgets, actual 2013 and budgeted 2014 district budgets, and the districts proposed tax levy for taxes payable in 2014. The proposed tax levy includes the maximum for Q-Comp which is $208,092, by levying the maximum, the district will receive an additional $316,578 in equalization aid from the state. State law requires that the district present information on the current year budget and actual revenue and expenses for the prior year. State law also requires that it present information on the proposed property tax levy, including: the percentage increase over the prior year; and specific purposes and reasons for which taxes are being increased. The total proposed levy for 2014 is lower than the 2013 levy by $866,866 or 7.59%. Visit the district website for the full Truth in Taxation presentation.
6. Old Business
A. Kindergarten Recommendations
Dr. Ann-Marie Foucault presented Kindergarten Planning Committee recommendations to the board, recognizing the board will not take final action until the January 6, 2014 board meeting.
The recommendations included offering full-day kindergarten beginning with the 2014-2015 school year; working with families on a case-by-case basis to excuse their child from a portion of the day if parent requested; hire a full-time assistant principal with some teaching responsibilities; offer support services similar to current services including EL, reading intervention, special education, nurse, 504, transport all full-day kindergarten students to and from school; house kindergarten students at Albertville Primary; and maintain class sizes similar to current kindergarten classes. Dr. Foucault also shared parent feedback from the November 11, 2013 parent meeting with the board.
Dr. Behle stated that he supports the committee recommendation reiterating that while only full-day kindergarten is being offered, the district will continue to review guidelines from Minnesota Department of Education regarding the childs parent right to request release without being marked truant, which will be included in the final recommendation for board approval.
The board thanked the members of the committee for their time and diligence, stating they supported the recommendations. Additionally, Board member Lindquist said the board supported the recommendations not based on funding, but on the recommendations of the kindergarten staff and numerous studies which support the many benefits of all-day kindergarten. The board directed Superintendent Behle to post kindergarten recommendation information on the district website as well as the Crow River News and the St. Michael Patch.
7. New Business
A. Action on Certifying Levy Payable for 2014
Steffens/Lindquist. Motion to Certify Proposed Tax Levy Payable for 2014 in the amount of $10,559,961.17, which includes the maximum amount allowed for Q-comp. Motion carried.
8. Consent Agenda
Consent Agenda amended for item 8.D.2. for deleting the word Kindergarten.
Lindquist/Holland. Motion to approve Consent Agenda as amended in item 8.D.2. Motion carried.
A. Claims and Accounts
Fund (01) $432,994.93
Food Service (02) $52,979.09
Service (04) $18,092.72
Agency Fund (09) $3,905.17
B. Treasurers Report
C. Trip Requests
D. Resignations, Retirements, Terminations, Layoffs
1. Gillespie, Erika (CE) — Kids Play Paraprofessional, resignation, effective 1/3/2014
2. Handley, Amy (FE) — High Potential Kindergarten Teacher, resignation, effective 12/20/2013
3. King, Marlene (Dons Bus) — Transportation Paraprofessional, resignation, effective 11/14/2013
4. Kucera, Chelsea (CE) — Kids Play Paraprofessional, resignation, effective 1/2/2014
1. Dearing, Lisa (Dons Bus) — Transportation Paraprofessional, decrease in hours from 22 hours per week to 20 hours per week, effective 12/2/2013
2. Finnerty, Kevin (HS) — Assistant Varsity Girls Hockey Coach, Booster Club paid, effective 11/11/2013
3. Foucault, Jon (HS) — Assistant Varsity Girls Boys Hockey Coach, Booster Club paid, effective 11/11/2013
4. Kisch, Cindy (Printshop) — Printshop Paraprofessional, new position, 1.4 hours per day, effective 11/25/2013
5. Kramer, Kendria (AP) — Kindergarten Long-Term Substitute Teacher, .5 FTE, replacing Tara Sniezek, effective on or about 2/6/2013 to 5/30/2013
6. Lahr, Stephanie (HS) — Assistant Varsity Girls Basketball Coach, Booster Club paid, effective 11/18/2013
7. Marcotte, Marc (HS) — Assistant Varsity Boys Hockey Coach, Booster Club paid, effective 11/11/2013
8. Miller, Daniel (HS) — Assistant Varsity Girls Soccer Coach, Booster Club paid, effective 8/12/2013
9. Nyhus, Sara (SE) — Cooks Helper, replacing Patty Jonell, 5 days per week and 3 hours per day, effective 11/25/2013
10. Weiser, William (HS) — Assistant Varsity Boys Hockey Coach, Booster Club paid, effective 11/18/2013
11. Weiser, William (HS) — Assistant Varsity Girls Hockey Coach, Booster Club paid, effective 11/18/2013
F. Leave of Absence
1. Brant, Frances (HS) — Second Cook, Non-FMLA Medical Leave, continuation of current leave to 2/3/2014
2. Henkes-Anderson, Ann (ME) — Art Teacher, Medical Leave Act and Medical Leave, continuation of current leave to 5/30/2014
3. Ness-Deden, Caroline (HS) — Science Teacher, Family Medical Leave Act, on or before 4/26/2014 to 5/30/2014
Donations recently made to the schools in the district were recognized by the board. A list of donations is available in the district office.
A. Wells Fargo Foundation donated $237.16 to Fieldstone Elementary for classroom supplies
B. ExxonMobil donated $500 to Middle School East for math and science programs
C. Brent Bjorlin donated $750 to Middle School East for the WEB program
10. Information Items
A. MSBA 93rd Annual Leadership Conference, Vision, Mindset, Grit, January 16-17, 2014 at the Minneapolis Convention Center
12. Future Meeting Dates
Monday, December 16, 2013 — Regular Meeting
Monday, January 6, 2014 — Regular Meeting (Re-organizational Meeting) Tuesday, January 21, 2014 — Regular Meeting
Monday, February 3, 2014 — Regular Meeting
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 — Regular Meeting
13. Adjourn to Special (Closed) Session
Steffens/Scherber. Motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:40 p.m. Motion carried.
A. Special (Closed Session) to Discuss Certified Contract and Consider Strategy for Labor Negotiations of Director and Coordinator Contracts
01/02/14, 3NCT, Dec 2 Reg Min, 155560