Stadium to have new scoreboard
The Buffalo-Hanover-Montrose Dist. 877 School Board approved a 2013-14 school calendar that includes a full week off for spring break.
The board also approved 2013-14 budget assumptions, and heard about capital outlay projects that include a new stadium scoreboard.
The approved calendar includes a Tuesday, Sept. 3, start date (first day after Labor Day). Fall break is Thursday and Friday, Oct. 17 and 18.
Thanksgiving break is Wednesday through Friday, Nov. 27 through 29. Winter break is Monday, Dec. 23, through Wednesday, Jan. 1. There is no school Feb. 17 for President’s Day. There is no school Friday, March 21 (teacher workshop), followed by no school Monday through Friday, March 24 through 28.
There is no school May 26 for Memorial Day, and the last day of school is Thursday, June 5. Commencement is Friday, June 6.
The calendar includes 174 student contact days.
In other news, the board approved the 2013-14 Budget Assumptions, which provide the framework for developing next year’s budget.
The assumptions match those used in generating the financial projections for the next five years. Recommendations for the 2013-14 Budget Assumptions are as follows:
• Enrollment projections based on November 2012 report with minor adjustments
• $379 referendum renewed in 2011; no new referendum dollars
Maintain 2009-10 approved staffing ratios
• 2 full-time equivalent (FTE) special education staffing contingency covered by third party billing revenue
• 4.3 FTE Superintendent Contingency staffing to address staffing issues
• Salary and benefit changes based on settlements in place and market conditions for non-settled contracts
• Non-Salary, Non-Benefits Costs are estimated to increase at 0-5% for all years
• Integration program and budget revenue at 60% of 2012-13 levels with 40% retention of Integration students
• Continued cost containment initiatives such as joint purchasing agreements, energy use reduction, paper reduction, insurance contracts, and other operational efficiencies
• OPEB contributions continue in 2013-14
• General Ed revenue formula allowance moves to estimated $5,276 for 2013-14
• Capital designation to be spent by 2014-15
In further matters, Director of Buildings and Ground Eric Hamilton annually presents a financial picture to the board of capital projects that are needed around the district. Each year, principals are asked to work with their staff to generate a building improvement “wish list.”
Buffalo High School is in need of two electrical transformer replacements. Hamilton noted that it’s not cheap or easy to do and that several have been done since the building’s opening in 1997.
Middle school has a really big push to upgrade their lockers. The scoreboard at the stadium is also in need of replacement. Hamilton said it no longer works and will need to be replaced for the start of the 2013-14 school year. They would also move the scoreboard to the other end of the field (to the west end) so if you are in the stands or at the concession stand, you can see the score.
Hamilton went on to note other smaller projects around the district, mostly at Montrose, Tatanka, Northwinds and Parkside elementary schools. Hamilton said he would be back at a future board meeting with an actual budget proposal.
In other action, the board:
NAMED Sue Lee as school board chairperson. Lee has been on the school board for eight years. She replaces Dave Wilson who was the chair for the past four years.