All safe after 11-hour standoff in Maple Grove

An 11-hour stand off Friday, Jan. 18, in Maple Grove ended with no injuries.

Maple Grove Police received a call at 2:14 p.m. on the 7600 block of Wedgewood Court for a well-fair check. A man’s family reported on not seeing him for days.

“We initially responded to the call as a missing person,” Maple Grove Police Captain Tracy Stille said.

Maple Grove officers gained entry into the home at 2:22 p.m. and located the male in a back bedroom with a shotgun to his head. Officers then called for additional assistance. Emergency Response Teams from Maple Grove and Plymouth were called.

People in the rest of the 8-plex unit were evacuated. Stille said no one else was allowed in the cul-de-sac as well during the standoff.

Additional assistance was needed in containing the suspect, who was moving around the home and barricading himself in different rooms. Capt. Stille said the Hennepin County Sheriff’s SWAT team arrived for assistance.

“We had three teams and we rotated the teams because the weather was cold,” he added.

During the stand off the man refused all efforts to cooperate, according to Stille.

At 6 p.m. entry was gained back into the home and robots went in to locate the man. “We then needed additional assistance from the Minneapolis Police Department,” Stille said. “They have a larger robot that we needed to get around the cluttered home.”

There was more resistance from the man, who was then found in a different back bedroom with the loaded shotgun.

“Officers gave face to face communication for 25 minutes before the man surrendered,” Stille said.

The man was taken by North Memorial Ambulance staff to North Memorial Medical Center, where he remains as of Tuesday.

Between 1:30 and 2:30 a.m. residents were allowed to return home.

“We did recover the gun and ammunition,” Stille said. “No one was harmed in the incident.”

Maple Grove Police are continuing to investigate the incident for possible criminal charges. The man’s name will not be released, but will only if there are criminal charges.

MGPD were assisted by Plymouth and Minneapolis Police, Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, personel from Maple Grove Fire Department, North Memorial Ambulance and the Hennepin County Crime Lab Unit.