Hennepin County 1st District Commissioner Mike Opat was unanimously re-elected chair of the seven-member Hennepin County Board of Commissioners Jan. 8 at the board’s organizational meeting for 2013.
“I’m grateful for the support of my fellow commissioners,” Opat said. “I expect us to continue to be a busy and productive board in 2013. The Hennepin Board takes seriously our position as a leading local unit of government in Minnesota, and we look forward to the challenges ahead.”
Opat has served on the board since 1993. He represents Brooklyn Center, Brooklyn Park, Crystal, New Hope, Osseo and Robbinsdale. Opat has served seven terms as board chair from 2001 through 2003, and 2009 through 2012.
The board also unanimously re-elected Sixth District Commissioner Jan Callison as board vice chair. Callison has served on the board since 2009. Her district includes Deephaven, northern Eden Prairie, Edina, Excelsior, Greenwood, Hopkins, Long Lake, Minnetonka, Minnetonka Beach, Orono, Shorewood, Spring Park, Tonka Bay, Wayzata, Woodland, and northern Mound.
The board also established board committees and selected committee chairs:
• Budget and Capital Investment: Commissioner Jan Callison
• Public Works, Energy and Environment: Commissioner Peter McLaughlin
• Health and Human Services: Commissioner Linda Higgins
• Public Safety and Judiciary: Commissioner Jeff Johnson
• Libraries, Technology and General Government: Commissioner Randy Johnson
• Intergovernmental: Commissioners Linda Higgins and Peter McLaughlin
The board, acting as the Hennepin County Regional Railroad Authority (HCRRA), unanimously re-elected McLaughlin, representing the fourth district, as chair and Third District Commissioner Gail Dorfman as vice chair of the HCRRA.