The St. Michael-Albertville School Board agreed to keep the high school gymnastics program as is, upon a review of the program.
Supt. Jim Behle and activities director Brian Benson made a presentation regarding the gymnastics program.
Included was information on overall costs per participant, participation trends, review of the Mississippi 8 Conference programs and participation, and factors for reviewing programs.
Behle and Benson recommended the board:
• Continue the gymnastics program and establish a 16-20 participant goal for a sustainable, comparable gymnastics program.
• Identify gymnastics as a TIER 2 fee program.
• Monitor the gymnastics program annually for participation trends and comparability to conference schools.
• Monitor high school female participation.
• If gymnastics is eliminated, replace it with a program with potential for higher female participation.
After discussion with stakeholders, including parents and coaches, the board agreed to accept the recommendation to keep the program as it stands.
In other action, the board:
CERTIFIED the 2013 tax levy in the amount of $11,426,827.
ACCEPTED the resignation of eighth grade girls basketball coach Jennifer Wiese.
HEARD that board member Gayle Weber would be recognized at the Minnesota School Boards Association Leadership Conference for her 20 years of service as a school board member. Board members and staff congratulated Weber.