School District 885
St. Michael – Albertville Independent School
School Board Minutes
St. Michael-Albertville Middle School West Board Room – Door A
Dr. Jim Behle, Superintendent of Schools
Douglas Birk, Chair; Gayle Weber, Vice-Chair; Carol Steffens, Clerk; Drew Scherber, Treasurer; Jeanne Holland, Director; Jeffery Lindquist, Director
Monday, October 15, 2012
The St. Michael-Albertville School Board held a regular meeting at the St. Michael-Albertville board room. Original minutes and documents referred to below are retained in the district policy book.
Dr. James Behle
Regular Meeting – 7:00 p.m.
1. Call to Order
2. Approval of Agenda Items
Holland/Weber. Motion to approve agenda as presented. Motion carried.
3. Correction and Approval of Previous Minutes
a. Regular meeting on October 1, 2012
Weber/Holland. Motion to approve regular meeting minutes on October 1, 2012. Motion carried.
a. STMA Soccer Club Update – Tom Dawson
Tom Dawson from the STMA Soccer Club gave the board a brief report on the soccer club. There are currently 1,671 players in the soccer club, 433 on travel teams, 52 games played with 250+ practices. Mr. Dawson said the club appreciated the well maintained fields and the use of the gym space. He also said that the club has heard from other teams that our fields are second to none. Mr. Dawson commended district staff for making his job much easier. Mr. Dawson told the board that he has proposed to Terry Zerwas putting up nets on the Middle School East soccer fields. He estimates that the nets would cost of $3,500 to $7,000, and that the soccer club would pay for them. Mr. Dawson presented the board with a donation check of $1,200 as a thank you for all that the district does in their support of the STMA Soccer Club.
b. Persons not on the agenda wishing to address the school board, 5 minutes per individual
a. Principal Report: Middle School East – Jennie Kelly
Principal Kelly updated the board on the school year for Middle School East. Highlights include math academy, Explore test, career exploration and staff LEEA awards.
b. Assessment Results Update – Jim Potthoff
Director of Testing and Assessments, Jim Potthoff presented the board with testing data for the district.
c. Activities Report
Dr. Behle, Activities Director Benson and Sukalski presented a power point presentation review of district activity programs to the board. The presentation included data on current high school enrollment and activity participation; activity program costs; and the rationale for the current fee structure. Currently, 84% of middle school students participate in one or more activity or sport. The middle school does not limit squad size. At the high school, 42% of students participate in one or more activity or sport. High school squads may be limited. STMA offers over 35 different types of activities with a high level of participation in activity programs. Salary, benefits and transportation account for 75% of expenditures. Revenues generated by the activities program pay over 50% of the activities program. STMA currently has a two-tiered fee structure with fees that are second lowest among ten schools in the Mississippi 8. Dr. Behle recommended the board continue to fund, contingent on overall budget priorities, additional squads over the next one to three years in boys and girls soccer and girls basketball prior to adding new MSHSL sanctioned sports. To support up to ten middle school assistant coaches contingent upon overall budget priorities. Direct the administration to further investigate options for funding weight coaches. To continue a two-tiered fee system and to keep the current fees for the 2013-14 school year.
And finally, to review continuation of programs based on cost per participant, number of participants, participation trends, and club/coop opportunities.
a. Activities Discussion
1) Squad Limits
After review and discussion by board members, the board agreed to keep the existing policy and practice regarding squad limit.
2) Activity Cost and Participation
After review and discussion by board members, the board reached consensus to continue the current activity and participation practice. The board requested the Dr. Behle and Benson provide additional detailed data on the gymnastics program.
3) Activity Fee Structure
After review and discussion by board members, the board agreed to keep the activity cost fee structure in place.
7. Old Business
a. Second Reading of:
1) Policy #510 – School Activities
2) Policy #564 – Athletic and Speech Activities
3) Policy #565 – Fine Arts Student Organization Activities
Holland/Scherber. Motion to approve Policy #510, Policy #564 and Policy #565 as presented. Motion carried.
8. New Business
a. Action on Boys Lacrosse Request to Waive Provision of Independent Provider of Extra-Curricular Programs Agreement regarding Activities on Sundays and Wednesdays
Scott Wortman, the new president for boys lacrosse thanked the board for the contract as an independent provider of extra-curricular programs. Mr. Wortman noted that the items restricting Wednesday and Sunday play could pose a scheduling problem. He told the board that they have already committed to playing a tournament on a Sunday and asked the board for a one-time exception. He also told the board that due to the shortage of lacrosse referees, it was difficult to schedule games with STMA field availability and asked the board to allow the team to schedule games on Wednesday. Dr. Behle told the board that the district and cities have begun to work together to look at field availability. Dr. Behle told the board that he was hesitant to recommend to the board that they waive the provision.
Through discussion, the board agreed to allow a one-time exception to boys lacrosse and allow tournament play on one Sunday for the upcoming season. Consensus was not reached by the board to allow games to be scheduled on Wednesday evenings, the current policy stands with no games played on Wednesday evenings.
b. Action on Baseball and Softball Scoreboards
Dr. Behle told the board that the current scoreboard at the baseball is not able to be repaired further and asked the board to approve an expenditure of up to $30,000 from bond dollars in the buildings and grounds budget to purchase basic new score board for the baseball and softball fields. Through discussion, the consensus to proceed to allow the superintendent was to move forward with the purchase. Booster donations and fundraising will pay for decorative tussles and other expenses.
c. Agenda Items for October 29, 2012 Joint Meeting
Board Member Birk asked members to contact Dr. Behle with agenda items for the October 29, 2012 joint meeting with the Cities of Albertville and St. Michael. The meeting will be held in the board room at the St. Michael-Albertville District Office (Middle School West – Door A)
9. Consent Agenda
Holland/Scherber. Member Steffens noted that the year for Item 9.c.3. should be 2013. Motion to approve Consent Agenda as amended. Motion carried.
a. Claims and Accounts
General Fund (01) $969,133.51
Food Service (02) $15,053.38
Service (04) $33,845.80
Debt Redemption (07) $402.50
Agency Fund (09) $1,910.57
b. Treasurer’s Report
c. Trip Requests
1) Anfenson, Tim (HS) – Boys JV/V Basketball Tournament, St. Cloud, 12-28-2012 to 12-29-2012
2) Brett, Kari (MW) – Student Council Leadership Conference for Middle School East and West, Alexandria, MN, 11-1-2012 and 11-2-2012
3) Osowski, Joseph (HS) – Siren’s Women’s Choir, NDSU and Concordia Choir Festival, 1-25-2012 to 1-26-2012 01-25-2013 to 01-26-2013
d. Resignations, Retirements, Terminations, Layoffs
1) Duda, Stephanie (CE) – ECFE Paraprofessional, decrease in hours from 27.75 hours per week to 22.25 hours per week
2) Erickson, Sandra (CE) – ECFE Paraprofessional, decrease in hours from 14.5 hours per week to 6.25 hours per week
3) Gullickson, Greg (HS) – Night Custodian / Activity Center / Performing Arts Flex Custodian, replacing James Richter, Sunday through Wednesday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Sunday and 2:00 p.m to 12:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, effective 10-8-2012
4) Hagerty, Sue (CE) – ECFE Paraprofessional, decrease in hours from 27.25 hours per week to 22.5 hours per week
5) Heidiman, Rhonda (CE) – ECFE Paraprofessional, decrease in hours from 17.25 hours per week to 13.50 hours per week
6) Mallin, Lila (CE) – ECFE Paraprofessional, decrease in hours from 14.75 hours per week to 13.0 hours per week
7) Marcotte, Leslie (SE / St. Michael Catholic School) – Special Education Long Term Substitute Teacher, replacing Jennifer Gronneberg, .5 FTE, 1-2-2013 to 6-7-2013
8) Murkins, Jennifer (FE) – Special Education Paraprofessional, new position, 5 days per week and 6.5 hours per day, effective 10-10-2012
9) Swanson, Shelley (CE) – ECFE Paraprofessional, increase in hours from 13.25 hours per week to 16 hours per week
10) Wiese, Jennifer (FE) – First Grade Long Term Substitute Teacher, replacing Kelly Holtz, on or about 12-17-2012 to 3-18-2013
f. Leave of Absence
1) Huls, Cassandra (SE) – 1st Grade Teacher, Maternity – Family Medical Leave Act, on or before 2-9-2013 to 3-25-2013
2) Swanson, Heidi (ME) – 7th Grade Math Teacher, Maternity – Family Medical Leave Act, on or before 2-14-2013 to 5-10-2013
3) Swanson, Mindy (AP) – Kindergarten Teacher, Maternity – Family Medical Leave Act, on or before 3-17-2013 to 6-7-2013
Donations recently made to the schools in the district were recognized by the board. A list of donations is available in the district office.
11. Information Items
a. Women of Today Candidate Forum, Tuesday, October 16, 2012 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. at Middle School West
13. Future Meeting Dates
Monday, October 29, 2012
• Joint Governments Meeting — 6:00 p.m. District Office Board Room, Middle School West (Door A)
• Legislative Forum – 7:00 p.m. Middle School West Lecture Hall
Monday, November 5, 2012 – Regular Meeting
Tuesday, November 13, 2012 – Special Meeting to Canvass School Board Election 5:30 p.m.
Monday, November 19 – Regular Meeting
Monday, December 3, 2012 – Regular Meeting
Monday, December 17, 2012 – Regular Meeting
Steffens/Scherber. Motion to adjourn regular board meeting at 10:10 p.m. Motion carried.
Carol Steffens, Clerk
(Nov. 15, 2012)
School District 885