By Tim Hennagir – Monticello Times
Rep. Michele Bachmann won’t face a recount challenge from former DFL opponent Jim Graves. The Sixth District race officially ended Wednesday morning after Graves issued a concession statement and both candidates spoke briefly via telephone.
“It’s hovering right now around a 4,000-vote difference, and that’s too much,” said campaign manager Adam Graves, referring to the vote differential. Unofficial results posted to the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website shortly before noon Wednesday showed Bachmann with 181,131 votes (50.45 percent) and Graves with 175,924 votes (49.27 percent) with all 280 precincts reporting.
“Once we got some degree of assurance that lead was significant enough, and that no canvassing movement would change things, we got Jim on the phone with Michele. They spoke briefly on the phone. We then sent out our concession statement.”
Chase Kroll, Bachmann’s campaign manager, confirmed in a telephone interview both candidates had spoken Wednesday.
“Our news release went out at 5 a.m. this morning after Associated Press, Fox, and MSNBC called the race,” Kroll said. “Mr. Graves called and graciously conceded. The Bachmann campaign also sent a 10 a.m. tweet containing a similar statement.
Adam Graves said when his father woke up this morning, he wanted to make sure all the votes had been counted before making a statement. “It’s a clear victory [for Bachmann],” Graves said. “We had a good run. The people of the Sixth District have spoken.
Bachmann released the following statement after winning re-election to her fourth term in Congress in Tuesday’s election:
“It has truly been an honor and a privilege to represent the people of Minnesota’s Sixth District in Congress, and I am humbled that they have placed their trust in me for another term. I am extremely grateful to my dedicated volunteers for spending countless hours knocking on doors and making phone calls,” said Bachmann. “I pledge to continue to work everyday to create jobs and do everything I can to make life more affordable for Minnesota’s families. Our children and grandchildren deserve a future filled with opportunity in a country that is safe and secure, and that’s what I’m fighting for in Washington.”