Artifacts of the early 20th Century Hanover Band are on display at BankWest.
In 1905 and ’06, the Hanover Band delighted residents with their music and free outdoor concerts in the Hanover bandshell.
Under the direction of Max Saenger, some of the known original band members included Frank Klemm Jr. and Sr., Wally Saenger, Bill Schmidt, Herman Vollbrecht, Ernest Saenger, and Bernie Lieder’s father-in-law Robert F. Bleck.
Sheldon Schiebe, Frank Klemm Sr.’s great grandson, donated Frank’s baritone to the Historical Society along with a band uniform. Bernie Lieder donated his father-in-law’s trombone. Both musical instruments, along with photos and a band uniform, are now on display at BankWest in the Historical Society’s display case. Be sure to stop in and view the display when you are in the area.
The bandshell was located on the corner of Main Street (River Road) and Mill Pond Road. After the band disbanded, the gazebo-shaped bandshell sat vacant and deteriorated. It was sold to some Burschville residents in the early 1930s and relocated to that community.